Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Lace and Quilts







I still have to pinch myself when I look at this AMAZING underskirt I found at the flea market this weekend. I look at it and dream I'm in another era and skinny in this slip with the lace peaking out from the bottom of my skirt. That was probably a no-no to have your slip show, but imagine picking up your skirt to climb some steps and having that beautiful lace show......ooooooolaaaaaaaala!

I was having a hard time figuring out how to display it and tried several approaches before I decided on this. I gathered these lovely vintage velvety pansies around the waist and tacked up lace to one side and hung it on the wall next to my mother-in-laws old buffet.

I'm attempting to finish up some "unfinished" projects, like this quilt I pieced last year. I pieced it from a jelly roll of strips by Moda. I LOVE Moda fabric! I'm machine quilting it, which is a first for me. I've always been a stickler for hand quilting, but since I have a quilt stashed away somewhere that I handquilted and never finished..........well, you get the drift, eh? This is a lap size and the machine quilting isn't as easy as it sounds, but it's working for me, since I'm keeping it or giving it to a family member. I love the colors of this one. Since I have a bad neck...too many whiplash injuries over the years....I can only do so much at a time, darn it!

The apron is something I whipped up the other day from various old linens. I used 2 old embroidered pillow cases, a dresser scarf and a napkin from April Cornell...another one of my favs. I just kind of threw it together. The next one I'll do a little differently. This one I used part of the pillow case as the backing and it's just not quite wide enough, so next time I'll go wider. Still cute, though, don't ya think? Great way to use up those wonderful linens that are less than perfect.

That's all I got for now. I'm dealing with a nagging headache I've had for 24 hours now. It's a beautiful day out and I've been de-weeding my flower beds. What a chore that is! I hope y'all are enjoying your day and the blessings it brings...Happy Spring!

No comments: