Monday, April 16, 2012

Just Like Grandma Used to Do...

I've always enjoyed hand embroidering. My mother did it, her mother did it, and I'm sure my great grandmother did, as well. There's just something soothing about holding a threaded needle in your hand and turning out something beautiful!

I took Home Ec in junior high school and of course we had certain sewing projects we had to complete. When we were given a free for all project, I chose embroidery. I embroidered all over a pain of denim jeans. And I mean ALL OVER!!! This was the 70's, so it was a hot stuff! In high school, I embroidered roses on denim shirts. I even had a guy pay me to embroider a shirt, yellow roses, for him. Still, one of my favorite things were the kitchen t-towels, as my mom called them. White cotton flour sacks great for drying dishes. 

I came across a pattern at our local quilt store awhile back for these t-towel patterns. One for each day of the week. Cute cottage flower pots! Then you add a scrap of your favorite fabric to a corner and stitch it with a blanket stitch all around the towel. I'm so in love with these! I've collected these "days of the week" towels over the years from antique shops. When I hold one in my hands, I can't help but wonder what the women were like who took the time to sit and stitch and maybe reflect on their life. Here I go getting all nostalgic and sentimental! Where's my kleenex? :)

Monday
I Should Have Flipped This One Around
Tuesday In The Works
There's a Lot of French Knots!



HAPPY STITCHING!




1 comment:

Cathy Nelson said...

I remember making these and doing needlepoint when we were young. I've done some cross-stitch patterns, but, nothing for awhile. They are very relaxing (when you can actually see the squares) Thanks for the memories, sweet friend! <3